n 1918, when the original East High School was constructed on Martha Ave.,
there were two levels of public schools in Akron — elementary schools
housed kindergarten through grade 8 while high schools encompased grades
s the public school population exploded as a result of the post-World War II
baby boom, a new entity, the junior high school, was introduced. In
September of 1955, a new East High School building at 80 Brittain Rd. opened
for grades 10-12. The Martha Ave. building, now called Goodyear Junior
High School, housed grades 7-9. The elementary schools were now for
kindergarten through grade 6. A later reconfiguration changed elementary
schools to grades K-5, junior highs (now called middle schools) were for grades 6-8,
and high school reverted to the grade 9-12 setup.
s part of the Imagine Akron Schools initiative, the decision was
made to move Goodyear Middle School students onto the high school campus on
Brittain Rd. creating an entity called the East Community Learning Center.
High school students returned to their refurbished and expanded building
in September, 2010. A new middle school wing for grades 7 and 8 was
added adjacent to the high school and opened in September, 2011. Sixth
graders in the East Cluster once again became part of the elementary school population.